McCoy Fatula, APCMcCoy
Located in Roseville, CA

child custody Archives

Child custody modification doesn't modify your parental rights

Like many others in California, you probably consider raising your children one of your greatest achievements. Also like most parents, even though times are not always easy, you try to overcome any obstacles that arise and always want what's best for your kids. If you're divorced, it's likely you and your former spouse have faced a challenge or two along the way with regard to developing and carrying out a new parenting plan.

Will family law regulations affect your summer vacation?

It may not have been all smooth sailing, but you and your children survived divorce. In fact, you're well on your way to a new, happy lifestyle, and you are planning several occasions to build family memories and create fresh traditions. One of the things you and your children may be looking forward to most is a summer vacation. The kids will enjoy an academic break, and together, you'll get some much needed rest and relaxation.

Don't believe these child custody myths!

When you got married and began a life with your new spouse in California, you likely could never envision that you'd one day be involved in a contentious child custody battle with that same person. The reality that not all marriages last a lifetime may have come as a shock to you when it was your own marriage headed for divorce. Whether you have one, three or more children, you are no doubt like most parents who only want what's best for them.

Seeking a parenting plan suited to your unique needs

Divorce can sometimes be difficult for every member of a family, and it can often have a particularly profound impact on the children. For this reason, it is important to resolve child custody disputes in a timely manner and seek a final arrangement that is workable and practical.

Working Together on a Parenting Plan

You may have noticed that there's a lot of talk about cooperation and negotiation when you are going through a divorce. You hear it from lawyers, mediators, judges, teachers, family members, and well-meaning friends who have been there. It probably feels pretty contradictory right now, doesn't it? You may be thinking "If we were able to cooperate, we wouldn't be getting a divorce." Your frustration is understandable. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that negotiating and cooperating with one another is the most effective way to get through your divorce. This is especially true when there are children involved.

Can I move out of state with the kids?

Divorce is a messy and challenging time. Getting the paperwork done, the assets divided and custody schedules arranged is a Herculean feat you don't ever wish to repeat. Life, though, keeps on chugging down the tracks. Yesterday's custody arrangement may not work tomorrow. Maybe you need a new home and job after the divorce, maybe your current home is too expensive or maybe you need the support network of your extended family back home.

When A Former Spouse Refuses To Follow A Custody Agreement

Even when a custody and parenting time agreement has been going smoothly, you can never really predict how your former spouse or parent of your child will act in the future. In some cases, the other parent may start to deviate slightly from a custody agreement. This turns into a complete refusal to follow your court-ordered agreement. In other situations, the other parent my suddenly make changes to your agreement and fail to pick-up or drop-off your child at the agreed location and time. This is very problematic and illegal.

What Is Parental Alienation?

Many parents have never heard of parental alienation. That is until they are faced with this issue during or after a divorce and child custody proceeding. Child custody issues can be difficult and stressful in and of itself. But when parental alienation is thrown into the mix by one or both parents, it is not only harmful for the parents but most especially harmful to the child.

Options When Your Ex Wants to Relocate Out-of-State

You feel like you are finally in a good place and routine with your child's schedule post-divorce. However, your ex has now come to you with some news: he or she got a new job and needs to move out-of-state. This is a stressful situation as you want your child to have stability and are worried about this big change. What do you do now? Move-away and relocation issues are complex and should really be handled by an experienced family law attorney in California.

What Happens If a Child Custody Agreement Needs to Be Changed?

You and your former spouse have been complying with a child custody agreement finalized with the court a little over a year ago. However, you may have to relocate for your job. What now? Can you change your child custody agreement? The answer is yes, the laws in California allow you to seek a modification. While the modification may or may not be granted, you are at least are afforded the process to seek this change in your child custody order.

Email For A Response

Contact Our Attorneys Now

Please complete the following form to email our office directly.
We will respond to your inquiry promptly.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy